Does Egalitarianism Exhibit More Equality for Both Sexes Than Feminism? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Does Egalitarianism Exhibit More Equality for Both Sexes Than Feminism?
in Philosophy

By ImbsterImbster 114 Pts edited June 2017
Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights based on the social equality of both sexes or if you're really strict with Webster;
the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
but also
organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interest

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism

Whilst Egalitarianism is a philosophy that favours equality for both people or;
a belief in human equality especially with respect to social, political, and economic affairs
a social philosophy advocating the removal of inequalities among people

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/egalitarianism

Ready, Set, Goooo.
melef
  1. Live Poll

Does Egalitarianism Exhibit More Equality for Both Sexes Than Feminism?

5 votes
    1. Yes.
      60.00%
    2. No.
      40.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• melefmelef 68 Pts
    No, Egalitarianism doesn't.

its like comparing a nationalist and white nationalist, they are different but very very simialar.
    EmeryPearson
  • Feminism is a defined movement (one I am not a part of, keep in mind). They haven't done much for gender equality, but egalitarianism certainly hasn't either.

When arguing this, let's try to distinguish the philosophy from the action. The philosophy behind egalitarianism seems to be more in favor of whole gender equality than the philosophy of modern feminism; however, has egalitarianism really done anything noteworthy in the name of its cause?

Egalitarianism, as far as I can tell, was created only as a counter-label for feminism, and does not have any degree of depth as a movement.

I think this is an interesting discussion though, are there any egalitarians here who can refute that?
    Imbster
  • As I understand it, there are simply different approaches to equality. Feminism is specifically about the equality of two genders, male and female: it inherently categorizes people into two groups and seeks actions that will put these groups closer to each other in how they are perceived by others. Egalitarianism, on the other hand, does not make any division into genders and, instead, sees humanity as a whole and seeks equality between individuals, regardless of who they are.

You could say that egalitarianism is an individualist approach to equality, while feminism is a collectivist approach to equality. I prefer the former personally.