Is it time to take a sick day for mental health? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Is it time to take a sick day for mental health?
in Work Place

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/calling-in-sick-for-mental-health-work-job-employee/
 A woman's tweet about a sick day "to focus on my mental health," and her boss's response, spark discussion about depression on the job.  The article advocates that it's a good idea, but I will argue that most workplaces will not be as understanding and it will likely back fire. Maybe your manager will seem supportive, but itbis likely going to result in passive aggressive behavior from your manager and coworkers.  Just not worth it taking the risk of jeopardizing your career, just take a vacation day or pretend to be sick :)

northsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Is it time to take a sick day for mental health?

8 votes
    1. Yes - good idea
      75.00%
    2. No - bad idea
      25.00%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• edited July 2017 Winning Argument ✓
    I mean you should relax to maintain your mental health once in a while, but mental illnesses are typically lasting illnesses. However, if the whole idea of this to get a mental check up then yeah, definitely should happen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I think it's a great idea.  As long as it doesn't get abused, an occasional mental health day is helpful to both parties and will result in more productive workforce.  Nice article.  If you work in a place that would discourage such a thing then maybe you should look for another job longer term.
    northsouthkorea
  • Mental health is very important and corporate and non-corporate jobs should provide the ability for law a day if for mental health.
    agsr
  • I think it's a good idea from health and productivity perspective - that wasnt the debate. The question is the risk of backlash from manager and coworkers
  • Sounds like a horrible idea.

You can't reliably distinguish between mental anguish and personal desire.

With a "sick" day you usually have to show that you were indeed sick.  

Even though the bar is low, it's still there.

If we start granting mental health days, you simply have to say, "didn't feel like coming in today."

That's no way to engender confidence with your boss, co-workers or employees who had to pickup the slack because you didn't "feel" like working today.