Cognitive Computing will exceed in many ways human brainpower in the next 50 years - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Cognitive Computing will exceed in many ways human brainpower in the next 50 years
in Technology

Position: For
By agsragsr 851 Pts
At the rate of progress we have seen with computer processing and Artificial Intelligence, cognitive computing will likely overtake human brainpower in our lifetimes.

I am looking forward to check out the newest Formal debate 1-1 format .
aarongnorthsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Cognitive Computing vs Humans

10 votes
    1. Cognitive Computing
      70.00%
    2. Humans
      30.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

SQL ERROR Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't existError getting name of the opponent: Table 'i2483808_vf2.User' doesn't existError getting argument count: Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't existError getting vote count: Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't existError getting comment count: Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't exist

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent:

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 1 Hour Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Forfeited

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    I believe that cognitive computing will exceed human capability.  We already have many tasks that were automated by robots and AI is only beginning to take hold.  Rate of progress will be exponential, so while I don't think every activity will be better done by robots, many of activities we do today are likely will be.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    I accept the challenge and support Humans instead of computers.
    Computers lack creativity and many of the deductive reasoning skills we take for granted. Our brain is the most powerful computer based on biological neurons.  
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    @CuriousGeorge, thank you for accepting my debate.  
    The power of computer processing is always increasing and that's why I am giving it a 50 year window to catchup to the human brain.  Also, AI is based on distributed computing power, not just one computer
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    I understand @agsr that the power will increase and will become more powerful.  However, computers will not have artistic skills and our brains are wired in a different way than computers. We will each be better in some things and worse in others
  • Round 3 | Position: For

There is an interesting artcile on this topic
    https://journal.thriveglobal.com/the-human-brain-vs-computers-5880cb156541

I am not arguing and agreeing with you that it will be a mix of activities that humans will still be better at than us.  I am arguing that most of the activities we know today will be superceeded by robots.  We will have to stretch our cognitive advantage to focus things that robots cannot do as easily. 
    It can be a big opportunity for us to improve.

Live Long and Prosper
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    Looks like we both agree that it will be a mix. I disagree that “most” activities will be better by robots.