Vaccination should be mandatory past a certain age and subsidized by the government - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Vaccination should be mandatory past a certain age and subsidized by the government
in Science

Rather than starting off with an argument on this topic, I'd like to see where people take it. I will, however, state my personal perspective. While I don't think that all vaccination for every possible disease should be mandatory, I do believe that there are some vaccines that should be required for people with strong enough immune systems at the correct ages. That would include: measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), tetanus, diptheria and pertussis (TDaP), influenza, and human papillomavirus (HPV). If you want to address this position, you're welcome to do so, but please do present your perspective on this issue and why you hold it.
comey_testifyjoecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Should vaccination be mandatory?

9 votes
    1. Yes, all vaccinations should be mandatory
      33.33%
    2. Yes, but only for specific vaccinations
      44.44%
    3. No, vaccinations should not be mandatory
      22.22%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I don’t belive that vaccinations should be mandatory for any angel age and shouldn’t be funded by the government. People should have a right to choose what vaccines they receive and the government shouldn’t pay for that.
    DrCereal
  • I don’t belive that vaccinations should be mandatory for any angel age and shouldn’t be funded by the government. People should have a right to choose what vaccines they receive and the government shouldn’t pay for that.
    Alright. Why should an individual's right to choose trump the fact that, if that individual does get a given disease that can be prevented by vaccination, they can spread that disease to others? Particularly when you're talking about measles and influenza, where complications can actually result in death, or HPV, which can result in cervical cancer for many women, how does an individual's right to decide whether or not they want that vaccine outweigh the right of other individuals to prevent these dangerous diseases? Beyond that, you've also talked about the desire not to have the government fund this. Why do you feel that funding for infectious disease prevention is a bad thing?
    Pogue
  • Vaccines should be government funded, because some people may not be able to pay vaccines. Vaccines should not be mandatory due to people not wanting some vaccines. People should be able to choose when it comes to many things, but especially their health.
    WhyTrump
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • I agree with @joecavalry that making it mandatory is not a great idea.  There is some controversial research on aome of the vaccines and people should have a right to choose.  We should make it free though and invest further innpublic awareness.
    DrCereal
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • Vaccines should be government funded, because some people may not be able to pay vaccines. Vaccines should not be mandatory due to people not wanting some vaccines. People should be able to choose when it comes to many things, but especially their health.
    I'll ask you the same set of questions I asked @comey_testify:

Why should an individual's right to choose trump the fact that, if that individual does get a given disease that can be prevented by vaccination, they can spread that disease to others? Particularly when you're talking about measles and influenza, where complications can actually result in death, or HPV, which can result in cervical cancer for many women, how does an individual's right to decide whether or not they want that vaccine outweigh the right of other individuals to prevent these dangerous diseases?

Or, putting all this another way, why should an individual's right to choose regarding which vaccines they get outweigh the health and safety of others?
  • WhyTrump said:
    I agree with @joecavalry that making it mandatory is not a great idea.  There is some controversial research on aome of the vaccines and people should have a right to choose.  We should make it free though and invest further innpublic awareness.
    Could you please cite the "controversial research" you're talking about? Which vaccines are backed by this research? If a vaccine isn't backed by this research and is backed by solid scientific research, should we consider making it mandatory? Also, since you agree with @joecavalry, would you mind answering the same questions I posed to him?