The OT supports the NT - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The OT supports the NT
in Religion

The NT makes many references to the OT, most common being Isaiah 53 as a reference to Jesus Christ.
  1. Live Poll

Does the OT support the NT?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      57.14%
    2. No
      14.29%
    3. I don't know.
        0.00%
    4. I don't believe in either, so...
      28.57%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• Wrong, Isaiah 53 only mentions the children of Israel.
  • @Judaism ;
    Isaiah 53 is commonly quoted in the NT as being an analogy to Jesus Christ. Prophecies can have two meanings.
  • The OT covers the genealogy of Jesus, it sets up prophecies that John covers in....John...., and it covers the Old covenant set with Moses and Israel.  The OT is EXTREMELY important for the NT and the NT would have little basis without the OT.  

Some prophecies set up that were fulfilled:

Micah 5:2 – “But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village in Judah. Yet a ruler of Israel will come from you, one whose origins are from the distant past.”
    Matthew 2:1-6 – “Jesus was born in the town of Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod.

Isaiah 7:14 – “All right then, the Lord Himself will choose the sign. Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call Him Immanuel – ‘God is with us.’”
    Matthew 1:20-23 – “As he considered this, he fell asleep, and an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. ‘Joseph, son of David,’ the angel said, ‘do not be afraid to go ahead with your marriage to Mary. For the child within her has been conceived by the Holy Spirit. And she will have a son, and you are to name Him Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.’ All of this happened to fulfill the Lord’s message through His prophet: ‘Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and He will be called Immanuel (meaning, God is with us).’”

Deuteronomy 18:15 – “The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your fellow Israelites, and you must listen to that prophet.”
    John 7:40-42 – “When the crowds heard Him say this, some of them declared, ‘This man surely is the Prophet.’ Others said, ‘He is the Messiah.’ Still others said, ‘But He can’t be! Will the Messiah come from Galilee? For the Scriptures clearly state that the Messiah will be born of the royal line of David, in Bethlehem, the village where King David was born.’”

Those are just 3 prophecies fulfilled.  The odds of this happening are slim, but Jesus fulfilled all 300 prophecies.  Those are extremely slim odds.  OT is very important for setting the above up.

• The New Testament is a sequel.

A sequel is always based on  an earlier work.

Many similar works of fiction have one or more sequels.

Sincerely though:

I'm always prepared to accept the biblical tales as myths, loosely based on actual people and places.

Similarly; I am always prepared to accept the notion of a god as a valid theory.

With regard to definition.

It would be more appropriate to ask the question:  Does the N.T. support The O.T.
    Pogue
  • pocopoco 93 Pts
    Judaism said:
    Wrong, Isaiah 53 only mentions the children of Israel.
    I don't know what vesion of Isaiah 53 you're referring to, but the entire chapter refers to Jesus.
    vs 2-4:
    He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
        nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
    3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
        a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
    Like one from whom people hide their faces
        he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. 4 Surely he took up our pain
        and bore our suffering,

If not Jesus, to whom does this refer to?  & please refer to scholarly study re this chapter b4 you answer.