What if... - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

What if...
in United States

What if our school system was built the same as it is now in middle and elementary school. But in high school, the classes are constructed around what you want your job to be. So if you wanted to be a police officer, you’d learn about criminology, and psychology. And then in phy ed you’d learn about apprehending and taking people down.

Would this be a more productive school system?
Sovereignty for Kekistan

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I would have to say no, only on the basis that college fits the purposes that you just described. Some people drop out of high school and do not complete full requirements, so high schools found their systems on core subjects such as Math, Literature, History, and Science and then allow for more freedom of choice come time to selecting electives. College allows you to be more specific, but there must always be general education involved.
    cdog1950
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• @WilliamSchulz I would disagree in that the general education high school provides is mostly useless to the student's careers. The electives should have much more importance and high school should be more college like. 
  • I would be absolutely okay if high school was just as challenging as college, I find it too easy at times and it focuses on testing and not actual learning. I do understand the importance of electives, but knowledge concerning elective stems from core subjects, and when core requirements are not met, then the elective can not be done. For instance, I want to be a politician, so I might take a couce on American Politics, but without a knowledge of history and English, I wouldn't do as well as I could with more knowledge under my belt. 
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• So if you say stripper what should you learn?
    BaconToes
  • @someone234 how to deduct someone. How to well. How to play around. And maybe a bit of math so they aren’t that dumb if they dont make it as a stripper.
    Sovereignty for Kekistan
  • @AmericanFurryBoy So part of the education program is 'a bit of math if they don't make it as what they want to be'.

In that case you've conceded that the current system has a good back-up.
  • So if you say stripper what should you learn?
    College prep work; a lot of women to get into stripping just so they can pay for their college education.
  • The only problem is, this means people have to figure out what they want to do in high school...
  • The main point of high school is to give students a wide variety of classes to help them decide what they want to do later in life. Furthermore, some people don't figure out what they want to do until halfway through college. so having kids try and pick a career path in high school doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
  • Education is methodology used by the State. 

Conditioning it's citizens into conforming with State values and principles.

I would suggest that, limited conditioning would inevitably lead to a more factional and unstable society.