Do I have the religious FREEDOM to create a religion that says Trump supporters are IMMORAL?? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Do I have the religious FREEDOM to create a religion that says Trump supporters are IMMORAL??
in Religion

By exconexcon 3 Pts edited April 2018
Hello:

If, indeed, I HAVE that freedom and run a business, can I REFUSE to do business with Trump supporters?

excon

PS>  This is my first debate.. Be gentle with me..
George_Horse

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I think that would be equally illegal as refusing to do business with LGBT, racial diversity, etc.
    George_Horse
    Live Long and Prosper
  • @agsr ;

Thanks...   Let's hope so.  

excon
  • Yes, technically you could. But you’d have to create the religion. And then gain followers(probably wont be that hard)
    Sovereignty for Kekistan
  • Yes you can refuse to do business with people who think differently than you. It is done all the time. There are already numerous businesses refusing service to people who they know support Trump. As well as people who carry concealed weapons and many other examples. You would be an imbecile for refusing service service to Trump supporters though, as they would most likely be the majority of your actual paying customers. So alienating your paying customer base is moronic and you would deserve all the financial loss you incur including going out of business. When people who think like you do boycott conservative run businesses because you don't like the way they think suffer no loss but in fact double their business in most cases. People who think like you don't buy anything from the business anyway so it is no loss and only encourages people who like Trump to go to the store and buy even more to support the business and mock and expose your intolerance, ideological bigotry and myopic stupidity.

• edited April 2018
    It's already being done, and has been upheld in court, no religion necessary;

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article209868614.html

anonymousdebaterEmeryPearson
  • VaulkVaulk 576 Pts
    The standards to have a religion established and legally recognized (Tax exemptions and such) is surprisingly low and could be done with little effort.  Legally speaking you can refuse service to anyone and you don't have to cite a reason.  Overtly refusing service because of political affiliation isn't technically illegal but give it some time...people will find a way to make everything protected until we're like Canada, forcing people with punitive action to formally recognize and use preferred pronouns.
    "If there's no such thing as a stupid question then what kind of questions do stupid people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stupid".

• I think it should be. A business should have the right to refuse service. But CYDdharta provides strong evidence that the answer is yes.
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 124 Pts
    edited May 2018
    If Trumpism was an officially recognized relgion, it would be illegal to discriminate against them.

However, as Trumpism is a political stance, it's legal for the basis of discrimination. You don't need to have a religious reason to discriminate against them. It's already legally acceptable.
  •  @excon ;

Do you regard the U.S. State System as fair and democratic?

Trump is President and was presumably elected by a majority decision.

If you fully uphold the U.S democratic institution, then it is incumbent upon you to accept the Trump administration for the duration of its' term in office.

EmeryPearson
  • yes, you would have that freedom. Just as much as the first amendment gives you the freedom to simply say it. What you're saying about our immorality is certainly in question, you can form whatever cult you want. and it would be a cult because you wouldn't immediately be able to be considered a religion legally. there are a few stipulations before you get that title.
  • Another thing, if the federal government is given the ability to punish certain religions for their beliefs and practices, then a precedent is set for them to do it to anyone. This is why we need to be careful with how much power we give to the federal government.
  • exconexcon 3 Pts
    @Fredsnephew ;

Hello nephew:

Oh, I accept that he won..  What I don't accept is his lawbreaking SINCE then, and that's the reason he should be impeached.

excon
  • excon said:
    @Fredsnephew ;

Hello nephew:

Oh, I accept that he won..  What I don't accept is his lawbreaking SINCE then, and that's the reason he should be impeached.

excon
    What lawbreaking?
  • excon said:
    @Fredsnephew ;

Hello nephew:

excon

Impeachment is not relevant to the proposition though. 
    Suggesting that people who have a different political viewpoint to your own, are "immoral". Shows little respect for the U.S. State System and no respect for the majority of your fellow U.S. citizens.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
    In the US, religion is a protected class, while political views is not. Hence, no matter what religion you follow, you can discriminate against any political view - and you probably do not even have to mention your religion for this discrimination to be legal.

However, the problem I see with this is that the term "Trump supporter" is loosely defined. Do you only refuse service to people who have voted for Trump and support him? What about people who support Trump, but haven't voted for him? People who do not support him, but have voted for him? People who do not support him and haven't voted for him, but believe that Hillary Clinton would have been worse? 

If you attempt to do such a business, chances are you will drown in lawsuits, and even if a small fraction of those lawsuits succeed (which, due to the above, is highly likely), your business will become economically unsustainable.
  • You say: 
    PS>  This is my first debate.. Be gentle with me..
    Yet you wouldn't be gentle with a Trump supporter. How ironic. Now to begin......

Let me guess: You're a democrat and a leftist. From the decades of 1950 to 1960, it was deemed "BAD" to not serve Blacks because of their race, but in the 21st century, in the second decade, in the very year of 2018, it is FINE by you to discriminate on others based on your feelings and political opinion? You may have the freedom to create a religion that says "Trump supporters are immoral" but doing so is downright moronic and retarded. Stereotyping a group of people based on the actions or behaviors of those from that particular group is NOT smart, goodness I don't even have to continue. 
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"Americanism not Globalism, will be our credo." ~Donald Trump

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill