No banning of semi automatic weapons. - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

No banning of semi automatic weapons.
in General

My opinion of this is just that. No banning of semi automatic weapons. If you know the proper definition of semi automatic then you know that bans all guns that are not single action. The process to legally obtain guns is already pretty strict. And I don't believe much more can be done to improve that. People are freaking out because the media glorifies these mass shootings but fails to state the actual truth. They have their own agendas handed to them by the ones who control who sees what and when. But if you knew that the number of deaths caused by guns in America falls so far behind the number of people's lives who are saved from the defensive use of firearms i don't think people would be so quick to jump on the ban of all semi automatic weapons. The second amendment was put into place to ensure the citizens have the freedom to protect against all enemy's both foreign and domestic. And if you look through history citizens who freely gave up their guns 9 times out of 10 a mass genocide happens from the very government who demanded they give them up. I don't trust my government enough to the point I give up my rights to protect myself. And I certainly don't trust all cops to protect me either. Just last week there was a person on my road who was shot in the chest at point blank range for brandishing a knife at two officers. I'm not condoning his actions. But aren't police taught to use their guns when all other attempts to subdue a suspect has been tried. They didn't taze him didn't attempt Pepper spray just point and shot him in the chest. This was a teenager I mind you. The two police officers could have subdued him easily. But they just shot him. That right there tells me their judgment isn't always correct. And if martial law or a natural disaster were to take place. I don't want to be forced from my home under the promise they will protect me. I can protect myself. They should worry about the vulnerable groups. Before they try and force me from my home and confiscate my guns. Cause they fear me. Maybe the real problem here is why does the government fear guns in the hands of its citizens. If they have no plans on hurting us themselves.
  1. Live Poll

Should we ban all semi automatic weapons

9 votes
    1. Yes
      11.11%
    2. No
      88.89%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• There are the radicals that have a feel good about banning most all things. Banning guns does not work for the criminals and that is a tough question for the far left to answer.
    George_Horse
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
    I have never understood the argument about not wanting to rely on the government to protect you in favor of protecting oneself with a weapon. To protect yourself from a maniac, you hardly need anything bigger than a simple pistol - you definitely do not need a semi-automatic, let alone an automatic, rifle. And if you are in the situation where you do, then you are going to be in trouble in any case without military/police support.

That said, I do not think that any type of weapons that is not banned for the general use should be banned for the civilian use. It is simply unreasonable to give the government the upper hand in case of a potential armed unrest (justified by the Constitution, mind you). Not to mention that I generally oppose such harsh measures as outright bans as means to achieve the desirable state of society. It is not the possibility of obtaining a semi-automatic weapon that the government should target - it is the idea of possible real life usage of such a weapon in the first place. Eliminate the culture of violence, and then gun control will not be needed. Do not eliminate it - and then all the bans in the world will not stop the violence from occurring.
    refugeeVaulkGeorge_Horse
  • @MayCaesar
    I have never understood the argument about not wanting to rely on the government to protect you in favor of protecting oneself with a weapon. Is government going to protect me in my home and if so how.

• @MayCaesar

When you eliminate the culture of violence surrounding criminals then let me know 
  • @MayCaesar

A simple pistol is not a semi auto for the simple minded
    WakeUpNow321blamonkey
  • Well actually a hand gun is semi automatic a vast majority of guns sold in America is a semi automatic. It's where a bullet is fired every time you pull the trigger. Most hurting rifles and shot guns are semi automatic. They are showing you ak-47 and ar- 15 s but not showing you that a 9mm is also so they want you on the band wagon. Of ban all guns do you know how many deaths actually occur in America each year sure to firearms? As opposed to how many lives are saved due to the defensive use of firearms?  in the United States 
    In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 persons), and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 persons).These deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides,21,175 suicides,505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent".

In 2012, there were 8,855 total firearm-related homicides in the US, with 6,371 of those attributed to handguns.In 2012, 64% of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides. In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicides, and 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S. In 2010, 358 murders were reported involving a rifle while 6,009 were reported involving a handgun another 1,939 were reported with an unspecified type of firearm.

s to 38-1 over the five-year period ending in 2012). That's a heavy price to pay.

The center also dives into the thorny thicket of how often the presence of a gun stops a crime — either violent or against property, such as a burglary — from happening. The gun lobby trots out an annual figure of 2.5 million such instances. But an analysis of five years' worth of stats collected by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics' National Crime Victimization Survey puts the number much, much lower — about 67,740 times a year.

It's also useful, as the Violence Policy Center does, to dig into the relationships among the attackers and those who kill in self-defense. Over the five-year span ending in 2012, more than half — 56% — of the justifiable homicides involved strangers, and in 11% of the cases, the relationship was not reported. The rest were acquaintances (18.7%) such as neighbors and coworkers, and then a mishmash of relatives and personal relationships.

So considering suicides count for over 62% of gun deaths each year. You can start to see the real numbers for what they are. Guns save lives are you saying the 2.3 million lives saved don't matter but the 11 thousand killed by homicidal or unclear intent of a firearm. used . somehow are more important. Look at the real numbers guns stop crimes.

George_Horse
  • VaulkVaulk 576 Pts
    @refugee
    refugee said:
    @MayCaesar

Yes, it is.  
    Image result for 38 special revolver

This is a Taurus Revolver chambered in .38 Special, a common and simple pistol that's fairly common...and yes...it's semi-automatic.  One trigger pull = one bullet.
    George_Horse
    "If there's no such thing as a stupid question then what kind of questions do stupid people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stupid".

• Vaulk said:
    @refugee
    refugee said:
    @MayCaesar

Yes, it is.  
    Image result for 38 special revolver

This is a Taurus Revolver chambered in .38 Special, a common and simple pistol that's fairly common...and yes...it's semi-automatic.  One trigger pull = one bullet.
    I like that this was made in Florida.  :)
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"Americanism not Globalism, will be our credo." ~Donald Trump

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill
  • I like that this was made in Florida.  :)
    It wasn't made in Florida, it was made in Brazil and imported in Florida.
    Nathaniel_B
  • when seconds count the police are just moments away.  when do you call the police, before something happens or after, unless they can time travel they rarely prevent a crime from happening (The Minority Report, I liked it)  Police have semi auto guns.  A bit ironic they would only want the police to have these weapons, the same police they protest against for killing people.  Public officials are citizens and have no extra or more rights than any other, but are protected by semi auto and full auto firearms.
    anyway I think it would be more dangerous to create a worse black market for guns.  

Nathaniel_B
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • Yeah let's ban semi-automatic guns and have automatic ones instead, it would be WAY better!
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • OutplayzOutplayz 88 Pts
    edited August 2018
    @MayCaesar

You are ignorant of firearms. A "simple pistol" isn't the best weapon to protect yourself. For smaller homes, a shotgun would be the best. Second up, you guessed it, a rifle would be the best. For a man, a pistol may be fine if he is highly trained, same goes for a women that is highly trained, but in the moment of adrenaline, a handgun wouldn't be close to the best since you would be shaking making it harder to aim. Why do you think cops unload their guns in a shooting? It is hard to hit. But with a rifle / shotgun, it is much easier. It is much easier to aim for a kid if they had to shot a gun, for a man/women not highly trained, etc. Also, you are speaking as if everyone lives in an apartment or small home. What if it is a big property? Has a big back yard or is farm land? In which case a rifle would be the best option. 

All of this is moot anyways. Why is it that your opinion that "everyone" is fine with a handgun be considered truth? You are asserting what "you think" is the best weapon for protection. Which is far from the truth for "Everyone." 
    Applesauce
  • Yeah let's ban semi-automatic guns and have automatic ones instead, it would be WAY better!
    ever shoot one?  I shot an ar-15 with a slide stock once, it was cool and all, but it would take A LOT of practice to be remotely accurate with it, even then I don't think it could ever be as accurate as semi auto, it's just the nature of the beast.
    Nathaniel_B
    The Animals
    ever shoot one?  I shot an ar-15 with a slide stock once, it was cool and all, but it would take A LOT of practice to be remotely accurate with it, even then I don't think it could ever be as accurate as semi auto, it's just the nature of the beast.

@Applesauce

You're either lying or you haven't spent much time with firearms. As hard as a rifle could be, which is the easiest gun i have shot, a handgun is much harder. I was hitting bulls-eye first try from 30 yards... easy. Try doing that with a handgun. Now, there are many factors that makes one better than the other... but, in most cases a rifle is much better than the latter. 
    Nathaniel_B
  • @Outplayz
    my replies keep getting lost, last try
    slide stocks came first, then bump stocks, they both do the same thing, I was talking about full auto vs semi
    There can be no dispute about the ease of rifles and shotguns compared to handguns, it's physics, rifles and shotguns are easier generally speaking.
    The Animals
  • @Applesauce ;

Well, yeah... i would agree with automatics. They are hard to fire in any type of gun. And, they are illegal to own for the most part anyways. But, banning things like bump stocks is a waste of time. It's a feel good law passed for the people ignorantly following the gun debate. Bump stocks are easy to make or improvise if someone really wanted to make one to do damage with... However, there is only one way it will be effective and its how the Vegas shooter used it. In all other cases it's useless. 

The point is the "gun control" agenda is just that... an agenda pandering for votes. The things that will help out most in decreasing gun violence and school shootings are laws that have nothing to do with gun control. ie. getting rid of gun free zones, armed guards and "willing" teachers, harsher punishment when in possession of an illegal firearm or breaking a gun law, etc.  
  • Outplayz said:
    Yeah let's ban semi-automatic guns and have automatic ones instead, it would be WAY better!

@Applesauce

You're either lying or you haven't spent much time with firearms. As hard as a rifle could be, which is the easiest gun i have shot, a handgun is much harder. I was hitting bulls-eye first try from 30 yards... easy. Try doing that with a handgun. Now, there are many factors that makes one better than the other... but, in most cases a rifle is much better than the latter. 
    I was just being sarcastic. I shot a glock 19 before, but no shotgun or AR-15, I wanted to though.
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

Bob Barr
  • Outplayz said:
    Yeah let's ban semi-automatic guns and have automatic ones instead, it would be WAY better!

@Applesauce

I was just being sarcastic. I shot a glock 19 before, but no shotgun or AR-15, I wanted to though.

Bob Barr