Should The United States Have Open Borders? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Should The United States Have Open Borders?
in United States

By joecavalryjoecavalry 404 Pts
Do you believe that the United States should have open borders?

yolostidebillpassed
  1. Live Poll

?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%
DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I think the current model is reasonable for the present circumstances: developed countries have mostly open borders with regards to citizens of other developed countries, and less developed countries have visa agreements with developed countries on a case-by-case basis. Having open borders for everyone could work just as well or better, but for that the entire immigration system has to be revamped in a way that makes every arrival fully capable to take all opportunities the system presents and to benefit the country, rather than becoming a burden on it.

So I answered "yes", but with the caveat that some other reforms must be done first, before open borders become viable. Otherwise, uncontrolled immigration just leads to the growth of shadow economy - which is not necessarily a bad thing, per se, but shadow economy coexisting with the official economy does lead to certain issues, pretty significant when these economical sectors are comparable in size.

It goes without saying that open borders do not prevent the government from issuing sanctions on especially hostile regimes. While I do think that, say, the average Iranian should be able to cross the US border with no issues - Khamenei definitely should not, and should be arrested on sight for crimes against humanity should he try to do so.
  • why and what benefit would it be to the U.S. to have open borders?  Does anything think they are the first to think of this idea?  probably good reasons it's never happened in the past.  Why should I have to pay more taxes with less benefit from them just to let people come here?  Merritt and strict needs based is the only thing that makes sense.  The "brain drain" is good for the U.S. but not so much from the country being drained, consider that for a moment.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • Is this a joke? Of course not! Open borders cause problems, just look at what poor Europe did! Many attacks, many died, and countries are losing their cultural heritage because of the barbarians entering their countries. 
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"Americanism not Globalism, will be our credo." ~Donald Trump

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill