Does liberal versus conservative present a false dichomy? Should both sides meet in the center? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Does liberal versus conservative present a false dichomy? Should both sides meet in the center?
in Politics

Liberal think it is okay to abort the baby after her can feel pain, and conservatives stop caring once you are born, is one example.
Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• "Liberal", from "liberty", denotes a system of values based around individual freedoms and liberties.
    "Conservative", from "to conserve", denotes a system of values based on resisting rapid change and preserving older values and traditions.

These are completely different terms, from completely different political axes. There is no center between them either, since they do not represent different sides of the same issue.
  • @MayCaesar that's the definition of what is now called a Libertarian as opposed to a left-wing-leaning Liberal.
  • "@MayCaesar

I wouldn't say your description is incorrect, but I do think it tastes a bit oversimplified. When used in a political manner, the word "conservatism" does not necessarily mean, resisting change or progress (although some people do interpret it that way). Conservatism means, "conserving" the values indoctrinated in the constitution. Since the constitution does allow us the freedom to progress (whether it be socially or economically), then wanting to conserve those values, would not mean "to resist change", it means to "conserve" the freedoms that allow us to be able to progress. However, somewhere along the line, conservatism began to take on a social meaning as well, which links it to an older political term that isn't widely used today, "traditionalism". Traditionalism is absolutely meant as a resistance to change or progress. Your definition of conservatism, is a better description of the word "traditionalism". Someone234, does make a valid point. Your definition of liberal, better describes a libertarian. Ayn Rand did describe herself as a "traditional liberal".