Is freedom of speech a human right? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Is freedom of speech a human right?
in Politics

I say yes.
  1. Live Poll

Is freedom of speech a right?

4 votes
    1. Yes.
      75.00%
    2. No.
      25.00%
Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• Why?
  • @Orthodox_Christian Yes or no: Is freedom of speech a right? Answer the question.
    Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

• @YeshuaBought
    I'm asking why it should be a right, obviously. 
  • @Orthodox_Christian Yep, you are trolling. Either answer the question, or be blocked. If I don't have the right to free speech, you don't either. Is that what you are saying? That free speech is not a right?

• Yes it certainly is and long may it continue ....Freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)
    Zombieguy1987
  • @Joeseph Agreed. Censorship is a real problem.
    Zombieguy1987

• @YeshuaBought I think it's not a right because I can never see rights being justified.
    @Joeseph
    Why should I care? That's not proving that rights are needed or that it even is. Appeal to authority fallacy.
    Zombieguy1987
  • @Orthodox_Christian If you don't believe in rights, you have nothing to contribute. Goodbye.

• @YeshuaBought
    Is the right of free speech in the Bible? Is it justifiable by secular means? I've never seen these questions answered well, so I think not.
    Zombieguy1987
  • @Orthodox_Christian

You say .....Why should I care? That's not proving that rights are needed or that it even is. Appeal to authority fallacy

My reply ..... I never requested an opinion off you on the matter did I? Who asked me to prove that rights are needed? I never appealed to any authority I answered a question a fellow debater wanted an answer on , capiche?
    YeshuaRedeemedZombieguy1987
  • @Joeseph
    You answered the question by appealing to the UN. What obliges anyone to believe in what you said?
  • You say ......You answered the question by appealing to the UN.

My reply .... You really need to improve your trolling skills

You say ..... What obliges anyone to believe in what you said?

My reply .... Nothing, I merely supplied an answer to an enquiry take it up with the U N 
  • @Joeseph
    Exactly, nothing. It's a non-argument, and pretty unhelpful in a forum like this.
  • @Orthodox_Christian

She’s doing no harm and maybe just wanted information on the topic , I’ve no axe to grind 
  • edited October 2018
    @Joeseph
    How is the UN worthwhile information for this topic?
  • @Orthodox_Christian

Im terrified to say as someone told me it’s fallacious to do so 
  • @Joeseph
    It's a fallacy if the UN has no argument. If the UN has no argument, then it's pretty useless. 
  • @Orthodox_Christian

It's a fallacy if the UN has no argument. If the UN has no argument, then it's pretty useless

My reply .... No ones arguing only you . Maybe you could tell the U N your concerns and sue if you’re not entirely happy with their position?
  • @Joeseph
    This is a debate forum, and the fact that I'm the only one arguing is bad? Wew lad.
  • @Orthodox_Christian

But you stated previously....it's a non-argument, and pretty unhelpful in a forum like this.

You seem to arguing with yourself .....again 
  • Joeseph said:
    Yes it certainly is and long may it continue ....Freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)

Does this mean the leadership of Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc. can be brought before the International Court of Justice in the Hague as human rights abusers for censoring users based on their political opinions?
  • @CYDdharta

I would think the opinion of an international lawyer fully acquainted with these matters would give further illumination on the matter, it would make for an interesting case