"The Shining" is not a good movie - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

"The Shining" is not a good movie
in Movies

Everyone says that it is a masterpiece, but I just can't see anything in it.
-The acting of the child is cringeworthy.
-There is an unneeded supernatural plot that the movie would be better without.
-The movie becomes TOO predictable at the end.
-It does these "pauses" to build tension but they end up just boring you instead.
-There is a tense music after... everything really. I could swear that at least %40 of the movie goes on with some high pitched, tension building music in the background.
-That "redrum" scene with the child... I tried so hard not to just stop watching the film after that.
-Nearly no scene manages to be scary.(except that one scene with the two girls standing at the end of the corridor. That was actually a well-executed and scary scene.)
-"The Shining" has nothing to do with what the film is about. The black guy explains what it is but it plays no role except the child sometimes makes faces when events happen.
-So, what happenned to the child exactly? The demon said that the boy was no longer there but the mom was a little too busy with fighting her crazy husband so she didn't care. The demon just got bored I guess?
-Jack felt so powerless. Yeah, his build-up was good but when the time came, it felt like that tension was built up for nothing. He wasn't even a real threat. He just killed a black guy that literally no one cared about. The mom and the son escaped without a scratch.
-Remember the 2 little girls? Yeah. So, what exactly was their deal? Oh, they were just a cheap way of scaring the audience because they couldn't find anything else and had to make something up? Okay then.

I hate this movie so much. I was hyped for it, too. I thought that, it has to be so good! These many people can not be wrong about this one thing! And guess what? They were. Worst movie I have ever watched. I have seen bad movies, sure. But this was hard to watch. 
Zombieguy1987
  1. Live Poll

Was the shining a good movie? (Hint: It's not)

3 votes
    1. Worst movie ever made.
      33.33%
    2. It is a bad movie.
        0.00%
    3. It's watchable.
      33.33%
    4. It is a good movie. (I am an idiot)
      33.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• TTKDBTTKDB 265 Pts
    edited December 2018
    The movie is enjoyable, and a classic.

piloteer
  • @TTKDB I really don't think any sane person that watches the movie without prejudgement can enjoy it. Because the movie is so well-liked, everyone feels like they have to like the movie as well. 
  • It's certianly a good movie to watch, but i wouldn't call it one of the WORST movies. This movie is actually watchable compared to say The Amazing Bulk, or Black Panther. But, it's your opinion and i respect that
    https://www.google.com/search?q=victims+of+religion&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=x&ved=0ahukewihu9jugorfahwkmeakhbtib00q_auidigb&biw=1920&bih=963&safe=active

Blues and Raptors handed two very toxic teams embarrassing losses, 95% of the sports world is rejoicing in the news

Repealing the Second Amendment is the first step to Totalitarianism, and it needs to be prevented to protect our freedom 

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/
  • @Zombieguy1987 Well, that's the thing. Movies like The Amazing Bulk or The Room are kind of movies that are so bad and ridiculous that they paradoxically become good and enjoyable. (Especially The Room)

The Shining, on the other hand, is just like the Emoji movie in my opinion. It is just bad and boring. I may have exaggerated when I called it the "worst movie" but it is certainly up there(or more fittingly, "down there").

I just want to know what other people see in this movie. What did this movie do well other than that one scene where the two girls spook Danny while he is riding a bicycle? I can even admit that Jack's build-up was good, but that is not enough to call the movie good.