Should The United Kingdom Leave The E.U.? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Should The United Kingdom Leave The E.U.?
in Global

Do you believe that the United Kingdom should leave the European Union?

1. Live Poll

?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      83.33%
    2. No
      16.67%
DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• From the momentary perspective, since this is what people have voted for, this is what should happen in a democratic society.

From the long-term perspective, I believe the EU ideals have been twisted by the way the organization has evolved. What started up as a way to remove the economical and territorial boundaries between the involved nations, ended up becoming some sort of a super-state run by non-democratically appointed bureaucrats, serving itself, rather than its members' interests.

In addition, EU has the same problem as UN and other similar global organizations: a lot of its members do not share the ideals of its other members. Greece, Hungary and Poland use the union for their selfish interests, while members such as France, Germany or Sweden value cooperation with mutual benefit. The UK also has not been a properly integrated member of EU, having its own border rules and multiple exemptions from the general EU guidelines.

All in all, I see EU as a faulty organization that started out with good intentions, but evolved into something it was never supposed to be. The UK is better off outside the EU, instead making trade and immigration agreements with the individual EU nations, rather than with the union as a whole. The EU is better off without a nation-member that has never been a fair player as well. The world is better off without EU being as large as influential as it was before the Brexit vote.
    Zombieguy1987
  • Yes. Globalism is a bad idea. Too much power corrupts.
    Zombieguy1987piloteer
    Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

• We're at the point where there have been numerous expert analyses conducted of the various scenarios and leaving the EU is worse by pretty much any objective measure such as GDP growth, with some exit scenarios such as the no deal hard Brexit being considerably worse than a theoretical Norway style model but none of them matching up to staying in the EU.

The only rationales that could seem to sway the argument in favour of Brexit are therefore subjective ones. Typically these are ill thought out and often childish, with racism and xenophobia being a notable factor in why the Brexit referendum went the way that it did (as well as the Brexiteers campaigning based on made up rose-tinted nonsense scenarios of what would happen). I haven't heard a good argument yet in favour of Brexit and I don't expect to start here.
    piloteer