Silencers and Sbr's should be de-regulated - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Silencers and Sbr's should be de-regulated
in Politics

currently silencers and short barreled rifles (sbr) require a licence and lots of paperwork etc, but why?
How many crimes have, ever, been committed with either of those?
Sawed off shotguns are also regulated because of the short barrel.  As you should be able to figure out, the barrel is actually sawed (usually a hack saw) to a shorter length.
If these were desirable or advantageous weapons to commit crimes with laws can't prevent that given the ease to make or obtain, and yet it doesn't statistically happen.

tons of videos on making silencers, but again not used in many crimes at all.
why deregulate silencers?  because they reduce noise duh if you live next to a range you'd understand.  Additionally it does offer some hearing protection for those at the range, participants and bystanders.

why is this even a thing and why do I bring it up?
with the banning of bump stocks it made me think, what have they revisited and deregulated?  Well, nothing that I can think of.  There's always a cry for more regulations, ban this ban that, but never if you give us this we'll give you that back.
anyway these things were never a problem or issue except that people believe what they see in the movies apparently.
Zombieguy1987
  1. Live Poll

should sbrs be classified like every other rifle?

3 votes
    1. yes
      100.00%
    2. no
        0.00%
  2. Live Poll

should all regulations be removed from silencer purchasing?

3 votes
    1. yes
      66.67%
    2. no
      33.33%
"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
The Animals

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• WordsMatterWordsMatter 458 Pts
    edited January 2019
    I'm going to assume you mean suppressor rather than silencer here. Silencers exist but really only used by top agencies like CIA, KGB, or professional hitmen. That will effectively silence a shot, but to reduce the noise to such a quiet level the silencer is literally ripped apart after just a couple shots and is essentially useless outside of an assassination. They pose no threat to the public at large as it would be useless in a shooting spree, and you can kill a single person in many many silent ways.

If you ment suppressor  then I couldn't agree more. Too many people have the idea that suppressors work like in the movies, or similar to a silencer that could magically not rip itself apart. A suppressor will lower the shot of a gun to the a little bit louder than standing directly next to a revving motorcycle if put on The already quietest firearm. A suppressor on the louder weapons will lower their volume to around that of the quietest firearm with no sound dampening at all.

The main use of suppressors is to lower the noise of firing a weapon from being dangerous and actually painful audibly, to a level where it's just really uncomfortable. Most useful in close quarters work, like protecting yourself in the case of a home invasion, or for hunters so that they can listen to the world around them and quickly shoot without going deaf or taking time to put ear protection on, massively risking the window where they can take the shot. As someone who's grandparents lived a little over a mile from a shooting range, I would have loved them to use suppressors so I wouldn't constantly hear guns popping off from so far away.
    ApplesauceZombieguy1987
  • @WordsMatter

I do call them suppressors, but like so many misused words, most wouldn't know what i was talking about sadly.  The hearing protection act should have been passed :(
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • https://www-chicagotribune-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-gun-silencers-1002-story,amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-gun-silencers-1002-story.html

Some excerpts from the article:

Commentary: 

"Gun silencers make it easier to commit crimes quietly

February 2013, Americans watched in horror as a disgruntled former Los Angeles police officer, Christopher Dorner, terrorized Southern California. Over nine days, Dorner killed four people and wounded three others during a mass manhunt.

As police investigated, they wondered why nearby residents weren't reporting the shots. It turned out that, in an effort to conceal his murders, Dorner was using a silencer, which distorts the sound of gunfire and masks the muzzle flash of a gun. (Silencers do not completely silence gunfire, as some Hollywood movies would have you believe.) In expert hands, say SEAL Team Six, silencers have been used to help covertly take down the likes of Osama bin Laden. But in the hands of criminals, like Dorner, they pose a serious threat to law enforcement officers and the communities they serve."

WordsMatterZombieguy1987