Should an illegal immigrant have a say in the process of deportation? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Should an illegal immigrant have a say in the process of deportation?
in Immigration

Give me your thoughts on when an illegal immigrant should be deported, and why or why not they should have a say in deportation.
  1. Live Poll

Should they have a say if they have clearly committed a crime?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      33.33%
    3. Depends on the crime
      33.33%
    4. Only if others were involved
        0.00%
  2. Live Poll

Should they have a say if the crime that they committed is arguable?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      16.67%
    3. Depends on the crime
      33.33%
    4. Only if there are others involved
        0.00%
  3. Live Poll

Should all illegal immigrants be deported?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• Well, if the immigrant has been proven to be staying on the US territory illegally, then they have already committed an offence that makes them legally deportable. Of course they should have the right to defend themselves, or to hire a lawyer to represent them - but in case the evidence is clear, there is not much they can do, short of bribing the judge. And if they have the funds necessary to bribe a judge in the US, then why they came to the US territory illegally, instead of getting a green card through the $500,000 business investment, is an open question.

Regarding an immigrant committing a crime not related to their status here, I am not very familiar with the process in such case. Again, if the immigrant is illegal, then they can be deported simply due to their status; the fact of committing a crime does not change much. 

But if, say, the court somehow misses the fact that they are staying on the US territory illegally, yet still recognises them as an immigrant, then, if I am correct, they can be put in jail for the period decided by the court, after which, again, deportation is likely to follow, although it does not have to. I believe the judge has a lot of room in choosing the sentence here, and I have heard of many different cases. Someone tried to bribe a police officer at a traffic stop and was sentenced for 6 months in the "jail for immigrants", deported afterwards. Someone else stole something from a fashion shop and got away with a small fine.

I do not think much change compared to the current system is needed. Although the personal bias of judges could be reduced some. The fact of the matter is, someone's immigration status often factors in the verdict and the sentence decided by the court - while ideally, only the crime itself should be a factor, with the immigration status being completely irrelevant to the case.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987DrummerDude
  • Yes. Immigrants have the right to flee persecution.
    Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

• They broke a law and are therefore foreign criminals. The US has the right to send them back to wherever the hell they came from
    Sovereignty for Kekistan
  • I would keep some. I am against illegal immigration, but for those that are criminals, they should be deported, as for others, they should find a way to LEGALLY be citizens, or get deported. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"Americanism not Globalism, will be our credo." ~Donald Trump

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill
  • DeeDee 421 Pts
    Absolutely not , they’re illegal ship them them out