Single Sex Education vs Unisex Education - The Pros and Cons - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Single Sex Education vs Unisex Education - The Pros and Cons
in Education

By ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 281 Pts
Within the UK there are now as to the best of my knowledge only a few single-sex schools.  The only con I think that may or may not be applicable nowadays to unisex schools is distractions of the opposite sex in later schools, students getting distracted from studies for example.

What do you think?
  1. Live Poll

Do you think sinle sex schools are better than unisex ones?

2 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      50.00%
    3. Makes no difference either way
      50.00%

The unexamined thought is not worth thinking.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
    Any society consists of two genders, and communication between those genders is extremely important. In this regard, single sex schools create segregation for kids who do not learn how to interact with the opposite gender, and that can have profound consequences on their adult lives.

Unisex education allows kids to learn to deal with the distraction and to see the opposite gender as as much people as they are, not special in any way. Single sex education, on the other hand, creates this image of the opposite gender as something mysterious and inconceivable - which really is an illusion.

I would go even further and say that gender separation in any area is harmful. Single sex bathrooms, single sex prisons, single sex military camps, single sex sports, single sex clubs... People should be exposed to each other, not separated from each other. People should realise that men and women are the same species, rather than two different species. And competition between genders and within genders should give way to competition between individuals and within society as a whole.
    ZeusAres42

• Talking of segregation that reminds me of a time reading about how mental health facilities used to be segregated institutions. And this was later decided it was doing more harm than good. However, I am not sure if that is a really good relevant comparison.

This all being said mind you, a lot of the top schools within the UK consist of both single-sex and co-ed schools that still ranks very high in terms of academic performance. Based on this data I can't see it making much difference either way at least in terms of academic performance.

The unexamined thought is not worth thinking.