Is there such a thing as an Absolute Truth? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Is there such a thing as an Absolute Truth?
in Philosophy

By ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 281 Pts edited May 2019
  1. In terms of correct or incorrect is there such a thing as absolute truth?
  2. In terms of morally/ethically right or wrong is there such as a thing as absolute moral truth?
In regards to question one, my answer would be that yes I think there does exist an absolute truth, and an example I would use is that a mathematical equation is an absolute truth. In mathematics, there is always only one correct answer. Another example I would use is that existence continues to go on forever independent of any human thought.

In regards to the second question, my answer would be no, I think there is no such thing as absolute moral truth. In order to have an absolute moral truth you would have to have an absolute moral standard that is always consistent; no exceptions even at the expense of reason and logic.

What do you think?

The unexamined thought is not worth thinking.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
    1. I would say that there is an absolute truth in a conceptual system built upon a limited number of postulates, such as mathematics - but there might not be in a system built upon an infinite number of rules, such as physics, or the real world at large. No matter how long we study the world around us, we will never be able to confidently say that what we know about how it works is an absolute truth that is not prone to human error or to lack data. And we will never even know if such a truth exists; perhaps the real world is somehow inherently subjective and is different for different humans.

2. There is moral truth within a given moral system, but there is none in the absolute sense, simply because morals are inherently subjective. Even a statement such as "Murder is wrong", with which probably nearly everyone agrees, fundamentally is dependant on the moral system in the context of which it is made.
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 421 Pts

You say  1 :  In terms of correct or incorrect is there such a thing as absolute truth?

My reply .....It is a  fact that there are absolutely no square circles and there are absolutely no round squares logic depends on absolute truths 

You say  2: In terms of morally/ethically right or wrong is there such as a thing as absolute moral truth?

My reply .....An interesting question and to me a fascinating topic.For the sake of debate an absolute moral truth would be .....feeding babies battery acid is wrong.

There are other extreme examples such as this but I get your point , I think most peoples morality is descriptive moral relativism

Believers in a god appeal to an authoritative moral standard where whatever god says is moral even if we humans think it immoral.

ZeusAres42