Are there any scientific laws in social sciences? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Are there any scientific laws in social sciences?
in Philosophy

By ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 281 Pts
As most of us know there are scientific laws of other sciences such as physics but are there any scientific laws in social sciences? The social sciences would include psychology, sociology,  political science, etc.

What do you think about this?

The unexamined thought is not worth thinking.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 212 Pts
    I can't think of any, I suppose that is argumentative. However there ARE "social" laws. They're called "ethics".
  • edited June 2019

To my knowledge, there have been debates as to whether there does actually exist any genuine laws outside of physics.
    AlofRI

The unexamined thought is not worth thinking.

• Strangely enough, the study of hard sciences is in a way less complex than social sciences (bear with me). This is because in the process of experimentation we can't completely control all variables. Unlike in hard scientific experiments, in social science experiments we have to consider human rights and ethics. This means we can't, for example, control someone's life entirely in order to eliminate all potential confounding variables. As a result, we have to be more cautious about drawing conclusions from research because, while every effort is made to remove them, extraneous variables are always present.

Now, this means that there may be "scientific laws" in social sciences but we simply are unable to figure out what they are. As it stands, there are merely empirically supported suggestions that appear to hold true across multiple experiments.
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 212 Pts
    @ZeusAres42 You said it yourself …. DEBATES.    A debate has two (or more) sides, and even after the debate one can keep his/her opinion.