The Bible was reliably transmitted from the first century to modern times. - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The Bible was reliably transmitted from the first century to modern times.
in Religion

This debate is not about whether or not the Bible is accurate. It is about whether the Bible is the same now as long time ago.
I believe that the Bible was reliably transmitted because of these reasons:

1) The number of manuscripts is high compared to other ancient documents.
2) Most "errors" are equivalent to a mere spelling error or a numerical error, without impacting the heart of the Christian belief.
  1. Live Poll

Was the Bible reliably transmitted?

3 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      33.33%
    3. Undecided/Other
      33.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

SQL ERROR Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't exist
For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0
Error getting name of the opponent: Table 'i2483808_vf2.User' doesn't existError getting argument count: Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't existError getting vote count: Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't existError getting comment count: Table 'i2483808_vf2.Comment' doesn't exist

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    Not only has the bible been transmitted, it has also been translated, transcribed and interpreted.

Nonetheless you state that you are not concerned with accuracy.

Yet you go on to ask.   Whether the bible is the same now, as it was a long time ago.

I would suggest that this not only questions reliability but also unavoidably questions accuracy.

If a text is inaccurate, it is therefore by definition unreliable.

What you are actually questioning is not the reliability of the modern text, but the capability and integrity of those who have sought to translate, transcribe and interpret.

We have no way of actually judging their capability (with regard to deceased persons)  or more specifically their integrity. So we therefore have no way of judging the reliability of their work.

As capability and integrity have to be questioned, then reliability must also be questioned and thrown into doubt.

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    @Fredsnephew ;
    It is true that we cannot ask the people who translate, transcribed, and interpreted the Bible. However, I would argue that it is reliable. See https://www.str.org/articles/is-the-new-testament-text-reliable#.WoDbSkxFzIU for reasons.
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    G-d would not let mistakes in His work.
    Pogueanonymousdebater
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    @Judaism Even though I agree with you, I have to recognize that a fallacy has been committed, probably begging the question. Also, I think I made a mistake earlier and said that my position was Against rather than For.
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    anonymousdebater 

I'm happy you view the Torah (Bible) as truth.