Saudi Arabian journalist assassinated in the Saudi embassy in Turkey - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Saudi Arabian journalist assassinated in the Saudi embassy in Turkey
in News

By MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/saudi-missing-journalist-jamal-khashoggi-mike-pompeo-saudi-arabia-explanation/ 

The fact that in the 21st century an assassination in an embassy on the foreign territory occurs is truly stunning. Embassies have always served as conduits of peaceful negotiations; they were safe heavens from national conflicts, in a way. It is not uncommon for embassies to harbor spies or to protect criminals from justice in the harboring country - however, a blatant act of prolonged torture, followed by murder, is unprecedented. 

How do you think should Turkey react to this? In my view, this kind of event creates valid grounds for cutting diplomatic ties off completely. Turkey and Saudi Arabia have never enjoyed particularly friendly relations, albeit they have had very profitable economical connections. I would expect minor one-sided economical sanctions from Turkey, probably not mirrored by any other nation.

I see this event as a very dangerous precedent, for in the past even during the most tense years of the Cold War all nations respected peace on the consulate territories - barring the rare cases of violent revolutions, such as the Iranian Revolution of 1979. If this assassination is left unaddressed, then we can easily encounter a situation in a few decades where embassies no longer are considered safe havens, which will, in turn, create tension between the ambassadors and the harboring governments, severely damaging international diplomacy.

I hope the world does not leave this unanswered, and the Saudi Arabian government does not get away with this, whether this assassination was orchestrated by it or not.
Zombieguy1987

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• Is this a call to arms?
  • @piloteer

Not at all, but I do believe this event has to be addressed properly, and sanctions instituted. Saudi Arabia has already been getting away with some of the worst violations of human rights in the history of humanity, but now with the new prince in charge it is starting to bring its standards down on other nations as well. This cannot be allowed to continue, otherwise the international diplomacy may be destabilized.
  • Saudi Arabia can go to Hell.
    Zombieguy1987
    Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

• Let's start WW3 against Saudi Arabia 
    YeshuaRedeemed
    https://www.google.com/search?q=victims+of+religion&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=x&ved=0ahukewihu9jugorfahwkmeakhbtib00q_auidigb&biw=1920&bih=963&safe=active

Blues and Raptors handed two very toxic teams embarrassing losses, 95% of the sports world is rejoicing in the news

Repealing the Second Amendment is the first step to Totalitarianism, and it needs to be prevented to protect our freedom 

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/
  • I see what your saying @MayCaesar, but what sanctions would actually work? They could just bring oil production to a grinding halt. Then what? This is a tough situation. Shame on us for having to depend on oil from countries that disregard the rights of our citizens.
  • piloteer said:
    I see what your saying @MayCaesar, but what sanctions would actually work? They could just bring oil production to a grinding halt. Then what? This is a tough situation. Shame on us for having to depend on oil from countries that disregard the rights of our citizens.
    The U.S's main oil source is Canada...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=victims+of+religion&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=x&ved=0ahukewihu9jugorfahwkmeakhbtib00q_auidigb&biw=1920&bih=963&safe=active

Blues and Raptors handed two very toxic teams embarrassing losses, 95% of the sports world is rejoicing in the news

Repealing the Second Amendment is the first step to Totalitarianism, and it needs to be prevented to protect our freedom 

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/
  • @piloteer ;

Saudi Arabia depends as much on the natural resource trade as the buyers do, hence this is a similarly unrealistic situation to "What if China demands that we pay off our debt at once?". 

I would suggest diplomatic sanctions, such as halting its right to vote in the UN, coupled with sanctions on trading military technology with it.
  • "@MayCaesar ;

I agree with you to a point. In 1974, OPEC initiated an oil embargo on several countries because of their perceived support for Israel. At the beginning of the embargo, the price of oil per barrel was 3$, by the end, it reached 12$ a barrel. This embargo was politically motivated, and Saudi Arabia targeted the US for the price hikes. I don't think it's not out of the realm of reality for something similar to happen again. Then, of course that fruit loop of a "president" we got will call for war, and things could get pretty dark for awhile. I fully admit that's all speculation, but a worrisome situation non the less.
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987