If you think "God is evil", and the next guy thinks the same acts are good, is God evil? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

If you think "God is evil", and the next guy thinks the same acts are good, is God evil?
in Religion

Just curious...

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• To me yes, to the other guy no.
  • Incorrect, it is the eternal atheist delusion to make G-d out to be evil, for example, you guys claim that G-d sanctioned child sacrifice as in the case of Abraham and Isaac, but this is wrong. Firstly, it was never the Creator's intention to have Abraham kill his son, it was only a test, and secondly, do you really think billions of the faithful are killing their children or want to?
    anonymousdebater
  • It would depend on why the person believes that God is evil. We can't call God evil during a period of spiritual dryness, or if he mystically doesn't give us a job we were hoping for. God is not a being who we can fall upon every single time. I mean, we should when it comes to things spiritually, but we can't count on God to do something magical for us when we need it. Rather, we should ask for spiritual guidance, or wisdom, a gift of the Holy Spirit. In conclusion, to answer the question, more information is needed.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• "Evil" is an inherently subjective concept and can only exist within the scope of a determined moral system. While some world views do try to postulate "good" and "evil" as determining, rather than determined by, the moral system (see Dungeons & Dragons alignment system, for example, where "good" and "evil" have pretty objectively defined meanings) - in the end it is more of a lexical exercise, than the actual views on the reality.

Goddess Lolth from Dungeons & Dragons is defined as "Chaotic Evil" - however, to he followers, Drow priestesses, she is anything but evil. She gives them purpose, she unites them under a single banner, she enforces the legal system which they see as the righteous one (essentially "survival of the fittest" with a strong sexist flavor), and she shelters them from those on the surface who cast them out of their world eons ago.
    To me, she is pretty evil. To them, she is as good as a god can get.

Is, say, Christian god evil? I see him as such; I do not see how a non-evil being can allow such horrible events to happen to people, when it can prevent them at will - and also the whole concept of torturing people for eternity for "sins" seems very grotesque to me. 
    But, say, Hestia seems to be a very good goddess, if a bit old-fashioned. She promoted family values, and also practicality over following one's emotions. 

When people disagree on a certain god being evil or not, the disagreement just comes from the difference between their moral values. And since objective morals do not exist, it is impossible to determine in the abstract sense whether the god is evil or not.
  • @Judaism well atheists don't believe in a God therefore they can't believe a Good sanctioned anything