The wage gap doesn't exist - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The wage gap doesn't exist
in Work Place

*grabs popcorn*
  1. Live Poll

Does the wage gap exist?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      42.86%
    2. No
      57.14%
https://www.google.com/search?q=victims+of+religion&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=x&ved=0ahukewihu9jugorfahwkmeakhbtib00q_auidigb&biw=1920&bih=963&safe=active

Blues and Raptors handed two very toxic teams embarrassing losses, 95% of the sports world is rejoicing in the news

Repealing the Second Amendment is the first step to Totalitarianism, and it needs to be prevented to protect our freedom 

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• The wage gap is a statistical fact, according to the governmental research, hence it does exist. The interpretation of causes of this gap, however, has not reached consensus yet, and as far as I know, no proper models have been developed to properly explain it with the reference to the available data.

Purely from the intuitive perspective, I would say that the wage gap is partially influenced by discrimination, but that influence is pretty small compared to other, non-discriminatory factors.
    Zombieguy1987RyanHough
  • @MayCaesar Our country is a Democratic/Republic Country and we support Capitalism. That means you get what you work for. If there is a wage gap its because the person did not work as hard as those who are being paid more. If you believe otherwise then you are not realizing the simple fact that this is the U.S. and we work for our pay we are not communists and if you want equal pay go to Russia.
  • The wage gap exists because it needs to exist in order for our country to not be Communist
  • is everyone paid the same? no . then there is a wage gap
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
    @RyanHough

This is not how capitalism works. Your wage is not determined by how hard you work, it is determined by how much your employer values your work. The system you are describing is called meritocracy, and that system is utopian and quite authoritarian. I would not want to live in a meritocracy, although some of the meritocratic ideas are commendable.

It is not about what I "believe", it is about what I can observe with my own eyes. I have had personal conversations with a lot of employers, all the way up to multi-millionaires, and I have seen the amount of prejudice most people do not even suspect exists. Granted, prejudice based on irrelevant factors such as race or gender very rarely enters the equation, but even that is not unheard of.

Finally, Russia does not have equal pay. I am not sure where you got this idea, but in Russia employers are free to set any wage they want, as long as it is above or equal to the federal and regional minimum. As for communism, it ended in Russia in 1991, and even when it was still present, there was no equal pay in Russia.

I was not claiming that wage gap is a bad thing; in fact, a lack of wage gap would mean that something is terribly wrong in the economy. I am not sure why the folks dislike my post, while essentially agreeing with me. Maybe not reading past the first sentence is the problem?
  • Typically a company pays a person who does good quality work more than the average worker. A wage gap exists but that's because people expect to get paid the same as people who work more. That is also communism. Im sorry if this offends anyone but don't be a stupid person who feels they are "Entitled" to equal pay when you don't work as hard as that person. My boss pays my coworker more than me because the Female that works with me is a hard worker. She gets paid 5 more dollars an hour than me and I'm fine with it. Why don't all you sissies grow up and realize that this is capitalism, not some fantasy world where everyone is equal, The world ain't like that, I'm not saying it's ok, but that's the world we live in, the sooner you realize that the better. 
  • also, the main issue with the wage gap is people think its because of gender. This may be true in some cases but we should all be grateful because any other place, people would not care. Everything has flaws, nothing is perfect, we all need to grow up.
  • And sorry for my lack of facts, but I'm a high schooler and I still know what goes on in life. I'm just saying grow up. this argument is just a waste of time while we should be worrying about more important matters. I'm sorry if I come off as disrespectful, I'm just trying to state my position.
  • I thought we were referring to the gender wage gap myth so I accidentally voted no. However, there is a wage gap between everyone that allows our government and economy to survive
    Applesauce
    Sovereignty for Kekistan