Should the electoral college be abolished? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Should the electoral college be abolished?
in Politics

I Don't think it should be abolished since it gives an equal representation to the states, compared to the popular vote where most of the representation is from New York, Florida, California, Texas and Massachusetts. Which isn't really good for democracy  
ApplesauceanonymousdebaterHunterJuneau
  1. Live Poll

Should the electoral college be abolished?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%
https://www.google.com/search?q=victims+of+religion&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=x&ved=0ahukewihu9jugorfahwkmeakhbtib00q_auidigb&biw=1920&bih=963&safe=active

Blues and Raptors handed two very toxic teams embarrassing losses, 95% of the sports world is rejoicing in the news

Repealing the Second Amendment is the first step to Totalitarianism, and it needs to be prevented to protect our freedom 

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• Reform it don't abolish it. Instead of winner take all in a state, the votes should be split along the same percentages as how the population of the state voted. If it was entirely abolished you could end up with Kim Kardashian getting elected president and there would be no safe guard from that.
    Zombieguy1987General_SmileyHunterJuneau
  • The Electoral College ensures that we don’t have people like Kanye West as president. It separates fans from supporters
    Zombieguy1987
    Sovereignty for Kekistan
  • Instead of Abolishment of the Electoral college, it just needs reform. It can and has worked effectively in the past it just needs to be changed to better fit today's number and culture.
    Zombieguy1987
  • @AmericanFurryBoy I love that you went with Kanye and I went with Kim. Just says we should keep that whole family out of the White House.
    Zombieguy1987HunterJuneau
  • It seems to me that the Electoral College was once necessary due to earlier limited communications. Today, (or in the near future), it seems voting could be done almost instantly. We could become a true democracy where every vote counts and we could TRULY have "government by the people". Lobbyists would be useless, political monies would be useless. Voter intimidation and fraud would be wiped out. We're not quite there, but, a TRUE democracy would really be nice. 
    Regardless, the "college" has been Gerrymandered into a form of voter fraud by the politicians, and mostly by the party that professes to be AGAINST voter fraud, so it MUST GO!
  • @AlofRI yeah I'd rather not live in a true democracy where you have tyranny of the majority.
  • I Don't think it should be abolished since it gives an equal representation to the states, compared to the popular vote where most of the representation is from New York, Florida, California, Texas and Massachusetts. Which isn't really good for democracy   

Electors for States:
    New York - 29
    Florida - 29
    California - 55
    Texas - 38
    Massachusetts - 11
    Total - 162 out of 270 required electors

Population:
    New York - 19.85 million
    Florida - 20.98 million
    California - 39.54 million
    Texas - 28.3 million
    Massachusetts - 6.86 million
    Combined States - 115.53 million
    United States - 325.7 million

Electoral College - 60% of votes from these five states
    Popular Vote - 35.47% of votes from these five states
    HunterJuneau
  • If anyone wants to, check my math for my other post.

But, anyway, I am opposed to the Electoral College. I think a true democracy would be best. Would it be that bad if Kim Kardashian or Kanye West was elected President...?

Also, it doesn't matter anyway if neither of them actually runs for president.

• :grey_question:

Just to clear things up, what is your position?

I Don't think it should be abolished since it gives an equal representation to the states,
    But, anyway, I am opposed to the Electoral College

• @CYDdharta ;

I made several mistakes in the post. I should have put quote marks around the first post because I was quoting the creator of the post. Also, I realized that my math was incorrect. There are 538 electors, not 270.

Electoral College:
    162 out of 538 total electors = 30.11%

Popular Vote:
    115.53 million out of 325.7 million total people = 35.47%

As you can see, there is not that much of a difference between the electoral college and the popular vote.