Is Religion A Force For Good In The World? - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Is Religion A Force For Good In The World?
in Philosophy

By ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 281 Pts
Following an interesting debate from Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair which I still have yet to finish I would like to know what other peoples views here are in regards to this question.

I myself haven't looked at this too deeply to have a definitive position. With that being said, however, I am currently leaning towards the position that religion is not a force for good or at least not necessary as being a force for good in the world. What do you think?

PlaffelvohfenMayCaesar

The unexamined thought is not worth thinking.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I'm with Christopher on this one... To me religion is a paleolithic philosophical tool, sure it helped early tribes social cohesion when we learned to walk on two legs but it's as outdated as an Oldowan stone chopper... 

Insisting on using religion to explain Existence when we have science and philosophy is like insisting on using a flint hand axe to perform brain surgery... Results are about the same...
    Polaris95
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 1699 Pts
    I don't think religion is really a force in itself. Religion is merely a reflection of human flaws, of our innate desire to have the image of the world that resonates with our psychological traits and that compensates for our insecurities - even if that image of that world has no reason to have much in common with the real world. If there was no religion, there would be some other ideology covering the gaps the absence or religion leaves.

The overall role of religion is probably negative, although it does have some positive effects - but, again, it is not as much the fault of religion as that of us, humans.
    ZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 421 Pts
    No it’s certainly not , religion has been used to tyrannize ,subjugate and divide people since it’s first inception and it continues to do so , take a look at Islamic countries that follow Sharia law where women are treated as inferiors to men , apostates are jailed or executed , child brides perfectly  acceptable  and homosexuality given the harshest of punishments.

A belief in a god came into being by people who could not explain natural phenomena as in storms , lunar eclipses , earthquakes etc ,etc the one who claimed to know was elevated to the special status as one in communion with the gods and thus began the whole religious racket 
    ZeusAres42
  • I try to be a good person, and serve people, but some religious people are nasty. Every faith has good, and bad people. I hope that helps.
    ZeusAres42
    Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.