Cake and eat it too - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Cake and eat it too
in Religion

By maxxmaxx 50 Pts
many religious people have trouble believing that the world is much older than their belief of a few thousand years; even though science and archeologists show evidence of it. Yet these people are the first to jump up and shout I told you so when science discovers an actual biblical site. This is basically saying that science is only true when it relates to something that I already believe in. Is this not a bit hypocritical?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

•  Yeah I agree but what is that title?
  • maxxmaxx 50 Pts
    Old saying about you can’t have your cake and eat it too; meaning you can’t have it both ways@AlexOland
  • @maxx Oh, okay. I don't know how I missed that. The proper saying is "have your cake and eat it (too)" though. And you want to add a negative there like "can't" considering the kind of connection you are making. 
  • maxxmaxx 50 Pts
    I was not attempting perfect grammar and I’m not actually sure if it is you can not. I’ll have to look into it @AlexOland
  • @maxx Pretty much, though to be fair this isn't just a religious problem, most people cherry-pick the experiments that support their view and ignore the rest.
    AlexOlandPlaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 50 Pts
    Actually Alex considering the definition of the phrase, not being able to have it both ways, then have your cake and eat it too; would mean just the opposite so I do believe it has to be you cannot have your cake and eat it too @maxx
  • maxx

What exactly are you asking? 

We all know that the earth and people exisited long before the bible, but it doesn"t change the facts that it is not only preaches a religious belief but is also one record of history. 

Just because someone is religious doesn't mean they disregard science.
  • maxxmaxx 50 Pts
    that they disregard science when it contradicts what the bible says; but accept science when it supports it; I was asking if this is nit being hypocritical.@all4actt
  • Maxx

What contradictions are you referring to
  • Maxx

What contradictions are you referring to
  • SandSand 67 Pts
    I think your argument is for people in general.

Because the same could be said about science also.
    People disregard the Bible when it contradicts science.
    Despite science history of wrong deductions.

Science will make a conclusion and everyone is considered stupid if you do not agree with it.
    No one listens unless another science theory proves it wrong.

It ok if that second science theory comes about, but what if it is a conclusion that it is impossible to verify.
    Then that first conclusion is considered true, without exceptions.

Nevertheless, people are people, everyone has different beliefs, thoughts, ideas, values, etc.
    It is what makes us human.
    maxx
  • maxxmaxx 50 Pts
    edited July 2019
    oh heck. I dont know; how about the age of the earth for starters? that's only one. yet of course when science finds a biblical tomb.....@all4actt
  • NeopesdomNeopesdom 31 Pts
    edited July 2019
    Whether the earth is old or young is just a little side discussion, not what is considered a salvation doctrine. If for example a brother or sister believes in a young earth and I and old one, so what, has no bearing on anything, Scripture does not say how old the earth is anyway.

(For example)
    Welcome to Old Earth Ministries .  OEM exists to examine the claims made by young earth creation ministries, and provide answers to their claims, using sound science and reasoning. The misleading claims of YEC's has led many people to reject Christianity.  However, a proper understanding of the Bible and science shows that you can be a Christian and believe in an old earth. https://www.oldearth.org/
  • maxxmaxx 50 Pts
    edited July 2019
    • I think just due to the genealogy and the ages of the people plus when adam was created, the bible says the earth is around 6000 years old.. most anyone with a calculator can trace the ages back to creation and figure out what the bible says about the worlds age. just about every Christian  I heard of goes by this.@Neopesdom